Wheelwright Lewis Downing joined forces with carriage builder J. Stephen Abbot in 1826 to form the Abbot-Downing company. Together they built the first Concord Coach in 1827. These coaches were popular because they provided a smooth ride due to their “throughbrace” suspension system. Used throughout the country for almost 100 years, these six-, nine- and 12-passenger coaches provided state-of-the-art transportation.
Join Peter James from the Abbot-Downing Historical Society as he presents a program on the Concord Coaches as well as the taverns in Lee to which they traveled.
Cosponsored by the Lee Historical Society and the Lee Public Library.